2.07.2007

Degeneration of What's in that Petri

I was watching a recent episode (Talking Points) of Law & Order. It was an episode about Stem Cell Research. At the end of the show, Jack McCoy was asked, "How do you feel about stem cell research?" He answer was something like, "If we are created in the image of God, I think we are a degeneration of what was once in that Petri dish."

That was a powerful statement because I feel that it is true. I believe that this generation of humans is a watered down version of our forefathers. I believe every generation after us will be even more watered down.

I think about my ancestors. They ate a steady diet fat-back, hogmaws, chit'lins, and other fatty foods; and a large majority of them lived to be well into their 90s. But us, we can't even eat one hot dog without almost going in to cardiac arrest.

I can't even stand to be out in the sun these days. If I am out in the sun for longer than 40 minutes, I almost pass out and my skin breaks out in a rash. My ancestors stayed out in the sun all day without problems.

What in the world is going on?

Let's get to the church world. We are some watered down saints for sure. People leave churches just because of the message the pastor preached. I grew up on hell-fire and damnation sermons, and we did not leave our church. You can't even get people to come out to the weekly services. We used to have services everyday of the week. YES! Everyday. And every member of the church came out to all of the services, even choir rehearsal. That part was crazy; there were non-choir members at church for choir rehearsal night.

Does anyone know who their neighbor is anymore? When I lived in my apartment like 15 years ago, I knew the neighbor across the hall. I saw her everyday. I even stopped and talked to her. I knew that her daughter was in college. She knew that I was in college. I enjoyed that. I moved to another apartment in that same complex and I did not know any of my neighbors. I say some people and said hi to them, but I didn't know them. (I take that back. I heard them curse their children out by name, so I knew a couple of the children's name.) Where I live at now, I don't know any of my neighbors. That's shameful.

We don't even fellowship at church like we used to. With the appearance of mega churches, it is hard to fellowship, but I miss the down home atmosphere of the small church. It felt good to have someone know your name, but I have found out that most Christians now-a-days like the amenity that the mega church gives them.

We are a wiser generation, but we are some weak human beings. God help us all.

To quote Jack McCoy, "If we are created in the image of God, I think we are a degeneration of what was once in that Petri dish."

The end...

This blog has run it's course. Visit...  http://www.iamagracefulwriter.info/ to read more about my writing.